Sunday 21 March 2010

Mixed Media days

For these past few days I have been doing some mixed media art and really enjoying it.  Working with different textures is pretty meditative - makes my mind drift off to think of other things.   I have been doing writing every day and picking a sub-topic, just letting my mind unfold and reflect on the experience I was recollecting.  Recently I was writing about the support group experience I had when I was newly diagnosed with M.E/CFS when I was in my early 20s.  It really was an eye opener as I recall the lady who came to see me, to tell me about the support group meetings, she walked in, or should I say, hobbled in, on walking sticks.  She could barely walk and told me that she had been ill for 20+ years. She was in her early 60s (I think, though don't quote me).

How I did not want to hear this?  At 20, it wasn't what I wanted to listen to.  I wanted to speak to someone who had got well, who had overcome it and re-healed.

And so this is what I was writing about in my pink book.  It made me realise, in that moment all those 21 years ago, that I wanted to read about the success story of a young person - I wanted inspiration and hope.  That's what made me want to write this book ... and that's why I will keep on with it, hoping it will see the light of day, in whatever format.  To help and inspire someone else who was newly diagnosed.   I feel lucky to have come through the ill health and only now, all these years later can turn back to write about it. 

It has been a beautiful day here in France, the sun shining and the forests full of wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...